To register to vote you must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), but must be 18 years old to vote;
- not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony;
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- reside in the state and parish in which you seek to register; and
- must be registered at least 20 days prior to an election if registering through our GeauxVote Online Registration System with a Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana special ID card or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail to be eligible to vote in that particular election. If mailing in an application, the application or envelope must be postmarked 30 days prior to the first election in which you seek to vote.
All voter registration information and applications of persons who are 16 or 17 years of age are confidential. For all other registered voters, the following information is confidential:
Visit www.sos.la.gov to learn more.